6 AUG 2015 :: Reading, Reading, Reading...

When I get up in the wee hours, there isn't much else to do except read.  I have piles to choose from, but today I have been reading my food and diet materials.  I was going through my collection and trying to make sense of the differences between USDA, vegetarian, vegan, and trying to decide how to create menus I want to eat.  :-) 

My favorite foods are not always good for me, but I don't have much time left so I think I can eat them without doing too much damage.  :-)  I would like to find a way to eat healthy and still enjoy my life.  One method I heard about on a food show I watched a few times (Southern Fried Fitness) was called the 80:20 rule. I know the 80% was eating healthy foods, but I'm not sure what she called the 20%... something about desserts.  (I found the web link... it's 20% indulgent.  :-) For me, it would be eating 80% healthy and 20% with personal joy and abandon,  :-)  including my double portion of popcorn with butter and flavorings!



I found the Canadian PDF that I was referring to in an earlier blog... it was by a dietician's group.  They had lots of suggestions for healthy meal choices.  Unfortunately, it didn't have the web address on it, so I have to look for it in all my files...  So far, I haven't been able to locate it.  I hope I saved a copy and didn't just print it.  (As I go around the internet finding information, I am learning some useful lessons on creating websites and printable materials.)  When (if) I find the link to this material, I will try to share it with you and make more comments about it.  As I begin to move my food issues to my Food to Live blog, most of my food-related information will be placed there.

Why is food such an important issue with me?  Because it isn't fun to starve. 

I have always hoped that I could create Christian communities on farm properties to provide food, jobs, and housing for as many as possible.  As we become more persecuted and displaced, we will need these resources. 

It may not seem like it, but I am always looking for the best way to grow as much of the foods we will need as possible.  (I think the government should also do this at its prisons... if there is a food crisis, we don't want the consequences that will happen in prisons because they have no other alternatives established.)  I may not be able to make this happen in my lifetime, but this is one of the goals GOD has put in my heart to do.



With the rise of the BOOMER generation, recipes for one or two people may become a big market.  I received an email from America's Test Kitchen that offered a cookbook with recipes for two.  I replied with my perspective on the new senior market and told them how much I liked two of the examples mentioned in their email ::  Lasagna in a bread loaf pan, and a chocolate chip cookie recipe that only makes 12 cookies, which is just the right amount for ONE baking sheet!  A great idea!

While I remember it, I should tell you about the creative chocolate treat I saw in one of the 21day Fix videos yesterday... the handy hint she provided was to put chocolate chips INSIDE a raspberry!  I love that idea, too!

I can see I am a foodie when I get this excited over things like recipes and chocolate treats!   :-)


Well... I will meet you here again on Monday, GOD willing, if I don't add an extra post about the Republican debate.    Enjoy your weekend, eat your meals at a table together so you can face each other and have a real conversation, and try to have mercy on those you may not understand or agree with.